Managing Middle School Classrooms: Behavior Expectation
Teachers create a positive classroom climate, minimize problem behaviors and gain time for instruction when they proactively communicate expectations to students.
Establishing behavior expectations is one of the first steps in creating a positive classroom climate. With this program, middle school teachers will learn a 7-step strategy for setting up and monitoring behavior expectations in their classrooms.
- Be proactive - expect the ideal and plan for it
- Identify Behaviors - select specific behaviors you want students to learn
- Organize - create a small set of behavior expectations
- Communicate - describe the behavior you want to students
- Monitor - observe students and give them feedback
- Review - discuss expectations and tell students how they are doing, modify if necessary
- Expect the Ideal - keep the focus on the behaviors you want
The DVD version includes a 21-page viewer's guide with links to free downloadable handouts, and 5 reference cards.